Thursday, August 11, 2011

Repairs, repairs and more repairs

These last couple of days have been hectic. A good friend returned from the States and stayed with me for a couple of days. We ate some good food, drank a couple of beers, and I gave him a crash course in leather work which resulted in a beautiful belt and a wallet.

Besides that I have only been doing repairs. I have been repairing crotch blows on some jeans that belongs to good friends and I have been repairing a bag that is used to carry too many books, which resulted in a lot of busted seams. So I did some hand sewing on the bag which will make it last a long time, if not forever. Hopefully I managed to take some decent pics of it, which I'll post later on.

It's funny when you talk about hand sewing because it is widely used in a lot of different (meaning; wrong ways). Sometimes it means that a person did the sewing on a sewing machine, but sometimes it does in fact mean that a person did every stich by hand. That is time consuming, but it is also more beautiful, if done right and it will last a lot longer.

Some time ago I found this little gem on Youtube. Here you see a genuine craftsman doing what he does best - hand sewing a pair loafers.

No comments:

Post a Comment