Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Thrifting Back Home

Living in Denmark's second largest city makes thrifting, which is one of my favourite pastime activities, a bit more difficult. There is a lot of competition by bigger hipsters than myself and the prices are normally hiked a bit too much for my liking. Therefore I like thrifting in smaller towns all across Denmark, when I get the chance. I especially like doing back home, when I visit my parent's. Not too long ago I went home and I had the chance to do a bit of thrifting and I had a bit of luck. Here are some highlights.

First of an old Danish made workwear jacket by Gerco with some nice details. This one has already found a new good home and I hope the new owner enjoys it. The cut and details of this jacket makes it very wearable and it resembles a classic safari jacket a bit.


Green bartacking


My favourite kind of workwear buttons. This type of button is removable and is secured with a small brass split on the back. 


Selvage on the placket. And some very nice slub in the fabric.


The stitching on the collar makes it stand up.



Felled seams, triple stitched and chain stitch.


I also found two denim workwear jackets, which are almost identical as the one I featured some time back. The only difference is the fact, that this one features snap buttons by Stocko, which is an old German company (that Nigel Cabourn also uses), that makes quality hardware. The denim is also slightly different in colour and it's a bit more irregular and hairy. The two jackets were donated to fellow Danish denim enthusiasts Thomas of Denimhunter and Henrik of Brund and according to my sources, the one I gave to Henrik is now being displayed in the shop.







I also managed to scoop two vintage t-shirts by a Danish underwear company called BHI (short for Brødrene Hansen Ikast), which is long gone. I mostly bought them because I liked the text on the back, which says "Real men wears BHI" and of course they were deadstock.




I also managed to find this hunting/fishing/outdoor parka by a company called Laksen (Salmon in English). It's probably the thing, that will go straight into my jacket rotation due to it's perfect olive colour and the fact, that is 100% Danish made, as the fabric was woven at Grenaa Dampvæveri.
The functionality is also great on the jacket with it's numerous pockets and hidden hood of some terrible, yet waterproof nylon fabric.


Suede shoulder and elbow patches.





Lastly I managed to find a nice coat in one of my favourite fabrics ever, Loden or Loden Cape from Austria. Unlike many coats made of Loden this jacket is actually somewhat fitted and short, which makes it a lot more wearable to me.


Nice, thick leather football buttons.


Leather trim in pockets and on the cuffs.


Waist adjusters and zipped vents.




9 comments:

  1. Tak, skal du have. Jeg undlod endda nogle ting fordi billederne simpelthen blev for dårlige. Blandt andet kunne jeg slet ikke få taget gode billeder af en smuk (og tung) dobbeltradet skræddersyet frakke i dyb marineblå fra 1953, som ser ud som om den blev syet i går.

    //Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja, fantastiske fund. Man er så fokuseret på udenlandsk tøj at man glemmer de hjemlige perler.
    Min smoking er fra den lokale genbrugsbutik. Skræddersyet af en lokal og forlængst hedengangen skrædder i august 1958 til en ligeledes lokal og forlængst bortgået arkitekt. Udsædvanlig smuk og meget tung og kraftig uld som var normen dengang. Den ser ligeledes ud som om den blev syet i går.
    //René

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herligt, Max. De er tit så gode, at de kan gives videre til de kommende generationer. Made to last.

    Jeg finder mange, mange skræddersyede smokings og ofte også jakkesæt med håndsyede knaphuller og andre gode detaljer. Men jeg køber dem aldrig, dels fordi jeg håber, at en eller anden vil blive glad for dem og så synes jeg, at det er svært at finde folk, der går op i den slags.

    //Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great finds, wish there was some jackets like that to find near me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep your eyes peeled and do it regularly and I'm sure, that you'll find even better things. All it takes is some persistence and possibly some luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Simon, for the kind words of encouragement.
    I am heading to a large flea market in south Sjaelland tomorrow, so will see what I can find there. Might give me a chance to look for vintage watches too I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to a big flea market as well today, but didn't find anything interesting. It's hit and miss.

    Did you pick up anything good?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm afraid not, was a miss for me too!

    ReplyDelete