Saturday, September 1, 2012

Books on Menswear - ABC of Men's Fashion

There are a lot of books on men's fashion, and I think I either own or have read my fair share of them. One of the most entertaining books I've ever read on the topic is definitely "ABC of Men's Fashion" by Hardy Amies.



This book contains a lot of advice - or maybe rather commandments - on men's fashion by Hardy Amies himself. Despite its structure it isn't objective or matter-of-fact, as it's basically a collection of Hardy's rants on almost everything related to clothing and menswear. Maybe you'll learn something, I'm not sure, but I can guarantee that you'll get a good laugh. I'm sure, Hardy Amies was a fun, amusing and entertaining character.

To me this is just a perfect example of his witty brilliance, and there are plenty more.


Brocade

"A patterned silk fabric for women's dress and for upholstery. It should remain there."


2 comments:

  1. So far i have been using only magazines and websites to have ideas about clothing, not sure if this book will also provide tips which can be useful to become stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That I won't be able to answer, but I'm sure, you'll get a good laugh.

    I think style comes from experience. That means you'll probably make some mistakes, while attempting or trying, but meanwhile you're figuring out, what you feel comfortable in and what you look good in. You also learn, as you age, and I think that is very valuable in terms of style. You learn from both books, magazines (not fashion magazines, IMO), films, the internet and everything else that surrounds you.

    I could go on about this, not that I'm particularly stylish, but I don't think, I'll be able to make a totally coherent statement. It'll most likely be a rant that makes very little sense.

    As always, thanks for commenting.

    //Simon

    ReplyDelete